Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Outback Exploring

Up early for an early start
Since the area right around Tortugas Mountain was pretty crowded with people--as it has been for several of the past Saturdays--Becca and I went exploring in the outback to the far west.  We ran into a few mountain bikers along the way, but once we got out there the desert was devoid of humans.  The sky was pretty dynamic this morning so I took a lot of shots trying to capture its essence.  A few turned out okay.  Although the Sunset Area was jam-packed when we returned to the trailhead we had the good fortune of not running into any other outdoor enthusiasts before reaching our car.
Torrey Yuccas in the rolling foothills

Sky over the northwest slope of Tortugas Mountain

Vast expanse of Chihuahuan Desert

Headed for high ground

Becca spots a hiker descending the mountain

A wonderful sky . . .

. . . gets punctuated by the sun

How tall if this Soaptree Yucca?

I'm 5' 11" and am standing right next to it

Hedgehog Cactus (left) in the shadow of a huge Torrey Yucca

Becca hears mountain bikers on the mountain

She spots other bikers west of Tortugas

Devil's Claw which I just detached from my right boot

Tortugas and the Organs

Barrel in a bush

Those are the Potrillo Mountains on the horizon
Roadrunner scouting for breakfast


Looking down on a Hedgehog Cactus
The road home



No comments:

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...