Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Early Trekking on Reprovision Day

Skeleton of a Prickly Pear Cactus pad
Because I had to go shopping later in the morning at both Target and Albertsons Becca and I needed to get a very early start; which we did.  We were able to do a decently-long hike west of Tortugas Mountain, and I had plenty of time to take as many photos as I desired.  While Dr. K is always patient regarding my picture-taking Becca is often impatient to keep going.  She only wants to stop when she decides to take a short break in the shade.  I get that because I'm often impatient with her when she wants to smell every other bush in the desert.
The "I-think-I-smell-something look"

Dropping down to the lower desert

Spectacle Pod flowers

Break time!

Wooly Paperflower

Tip of a Soaptree Yucca flower stalk

Loaded with tiny white flowers

Dune Evening Primrose

Organ Mountains across a vast Chihuahuan Desert

Soaptree Yuccas are putting up flower stalks


Closeup of a Soaptree Yucca flower stalk

Soon to be covered in creamy-white flowers

Strawberry Pitaya Cactus

Scott's Oriole singing his head off

Can a bird look sheepish?

Ocotillo flowers against sky and mountain

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

That Scott's Oriole is such a beautiful songbird.

packrat said...

Isn't he, Dr. K? :)

Trio and then Solo

Very early moon The three of us did an early morning hike on our usual route, but the cold wind kept us from adding any extra distance.  We ...