Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Unpleasant Encounter

Sacramento Mountains early this morning
Just as we were approaching the midway ramada on the Grand View Trail this morning a couple of dogs--champagne-colored Standard Poodles--came running toward us, the smaller one barking aggressively.  The larger one seemed quite friendly, but we couldn't get a read on the smaller, who acted as if she might bite Becca, circling and circling and barking with a piercing voice.  The owner came hurrying out of the ramada, calling out for the dog to cease its behavior.  As he approached I told him, "Your small dog seems very aggressive."  He assured me she wasn't, saying the dog just wanted to play with Becca.  He yelled at the poodle, finally grabbing it by the collar and saying to me, "We're good."  Dr. K, Becca and I continued down the trail, and we noticed a woman sitting in the ramada.  The first thing I said to her was, "Your small dog is quite aggressive."  She said, "Actually she's not.  She just wants to play.  I don't like that kind of barking, but what can you do?"  By then the larger poodle had joined us, and I petted her head and scratched her ears.  She was super friendly.  We hiked on, both Dr. K and I feeling fairly certain that those two humans were both gaslighting us.  When we realized they were following in the direction we were going we did a little bushwhacking off trail until they had passed.  Needless to say I don't have very high regard for people who can't control their dogs.
Into the forest

I think I've finally determined these are growing on a Fourwing Saltbush

Don't whistle at me

I think it's a Collared Lizard, but it was singularly uncooperative

Through the cut

Fourwing Saltbush

Don't know what they are

Big, ole dead tree

Dr. K and Becca

Pretty sure this is Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma woodhouseii)

The wonderful Grand View Trail

Hedgehog Cactus in rock

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

That scrub-jay is such a beautiful bird--I wish we could have gotten a longer look at it, but it wasn't in the mood to pose for very long.

Moonday Hike

Morning moon We got a really early start this morning, and the weather was quite cooperative:  56F at the beginning of the trek with only a ...