Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Chilled Bones

Bushwhacking for this view
23F when we got up this morning, 26F when I started a hike west of Tortugas Mountain.  Weather.com erroneously reported the wind at 1 mph, but it was blowing hard while I trekked in the shadow of the mountain.  I was dressed appropriately, but the gusts made it feel muy frio out there.  The cold forced me to do some bushwhacking in order to reach the sunshine sooner than I would have normally.

By the time I ran into Jimmy on my return leg I had removed my gloves and my ear flaps, already warming up nicely.  He and I talked for quite a while before parting company.

When I returned home Dr. K and I headed over to Walgreens to get our flu shots, and we had to wait a significantly long time before finally getting them.  The store was very busy, and one woman worker said they were understaffed today.  Yipee!
Huge old Torrey Yucca

Road to Tortugas

Torrey Yucca west of the mountain

Curve-billed Thrasher

This and the next 2:  Ladder-backed Woodpecker



Curve-billed Thrasher again

Soaptree Yucca

Ladder-backed Woodpecker in a Soaptree Yucca stalk

Arroyo

A look at above arroyo from on high

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Excellent photos of the Ladder-Back Woodpecker. Such beautiful markings on this bird.

Cholla Surprise

Black-chinned Hummingbird We had a good, semi-long hike this morning, adding distance by doing a bit of bushwhacking over to the saddle sout...