Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Barrels, Bees, Butterflies, Hawks and Roadrunners

First two images from Part 1 of today's hikes
Two-part hike this morning, one with Dr. K and the Heelers, which was cut short because of Willow's bad behavior; and the second a solo trek I took from the western gate of Geothermal Road.

My hike was pretty amazing because I got to wend my way along the major arroyo that parallels Geothermal, the bed of the wash made easily passable because of recent rains that left a drying-mud "concrete" in their wake.  I went east almost to Tortugas Mountain before heading south along a dirt road that intersects with the northernmost east/west dirt road.

The biggest benefit from my solo trek was encountering birds, bees, butterflies, hawks and Roadrunners during the exploration.  The most colorful benefit derived from discovering numerous Barrel Cacti growing alongside the arroyo banks.


Roadrunner says, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it."


Arroyo run

Large arroyo west of Tortugas Mountain

Bee on Climbing Milkweed

Climbing Milkweed

Another bee on milkweed

This & next 2:  major arroyo out of the mountain's west side


Until otherwise captioned all single Barrel Cacti











This and next 6:  triple Barrel Cactus





Queen

A real roller coaster of a road


Swainson's Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk
 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Those are some of the most spectacular photos you've ever taken of barrel cactus flowers. Beautiful photos.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...