Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Bushwhack Buddies

Headed down the LDR-A arroyo
I didn't plan on doing any bushwhacking this morning, but as we descended the LDR-A arroyo I had the urge to bushwhack over to the huge Soaptree I used to call the "Three Kings."  It's such an interesting old Soaptree I just wanted to be near it.  Heelers didn't mind.  In fact, Willow often wants to head in that direction whenever we pass the spot.

Instead of crossing over to intersect Right Branch Arroyo we bushwhacked north eventually catching a narrow arroyo to follow all the way down to the east/west cross trail.  From there we turned to the east and entered the new arroyo, deciding on the middle branch for the climb southward.

Upon intersecting with the left branch we followed it down to the junction with the right branch and then headed south up into its source.  We exited that arroyo up the steep hill just east of the upper flatland road where our CR-V was parked.  Both Willow and Frio were very well behaved today, and, man, did I ever appreciate it.

This & next:  king-size Soaptree Yucca from both sides


Bushwhacked across here with Willow leading the way

Small Barrel Cactus

My bushwhacking buddies

Off the beaten path

Came upon this stout beauty

Assorted Soaptrees

Middle Branch Arroyo now

King-size Soaptrees from a distance

Way up into Left Branch Arroyo

Looking north from Left Branch Arroyo

This & next 2:  same Barrel Cactus



Frio and Willow

Headed down the left branch

B&W Soaptree

Willow and Frio

Hedgehog Cactus

 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I love those photos of the Barrel Cactus, especially the last two images.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...