Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, September 30, 2016

During the Rain

High Desert grassland just west of the Organ Mountains
We were delayed for about an hour this morning because of heavy rain.  When it finally let up a bit Becca and I headed for Tortugas Mountain.  We got a little wet at first, but the rain stopped and a light breeze dried us off.  Eventually the sun appeared.  Since I had left my camera in the car so it wouldn't get drenched I decided the Beckster and I would drive over to the Sierra Vista Trail to do another short trek while I took some photos; by then the sun was shining brightly, though we had to walk through some soaked high grasses overhanging the path.  Becca didn't seem to mind the extra exercise, and I was glad to capture the images that are posted here.
Happy for sunny conditions after a rainy start

The rugged Organs

Sotol (aka "Desert Spoon") just flowering

Becca spots two Jackrabbits bounding through the underbrush

Long view of a high-desert grassland

Two large Sotols

Nice to see blue sky after a dreary start

Water runoff in the mountains

A bit closer look at the runoff

Getting set to turn around

Heading back

Getting closer to the Soledad Rocks

All part of the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument

Organ Peak (high point of the range at approximately 9,000 feet)

Tortugas Mountain from the Sierra Vista parking lot

Barrel Cactus fruit

Almost home

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the photo of the two large sotols, mainly because of the winding trail--it makes for an interesting design.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...