Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, November 20, 2017

Tire Day

Torrey Yucca in Tortugas's western foothills
Becca and I did a moderately long hike west of the mountain this morning, but I had to get home to take a quick shower before heading over to Discount Tire to have a new set of Michelin Defenders mounted on the Jeep Commander.  I learned an important lesson about going to Discount Tire:  if you make an appointment online you're guaranteed to be in and out of there in forty-five minutes.  Fortunately I had scheduled an appointment that way, and guess what?--I was in and out in the specified time period.  I won't divulge the amount of money I spent on those tires; suffice it to say I won't be shopping for any groceries for the entire month of December. :)
Through the Ocotillo

What's up that-a-way?

On the lower section of Tortugas Mountain's western slope

Can't tell from here if it's a Say's Phoebe or Western Kingbird

Looks like Say's Phoebe from the back

Something of a symbiotic relationship:  Yucca and Ocotillo

Odd clouds

How to account for those clouds: almost no wind

Hanger-on: Hairy False Goldenaster (Heterotheca villosa)

Hairy False Goldenast seed balls

Former Hairy False Goldenasters

Various stages of being a former Hairy False Goldenaster

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I hope the hairy false goldenasters come back in the spring. What a beautiful plant, and so hardy it doesn't need any tending.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...