Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Solo Trek

Half-eaten Prickly Pear "pear"
I intended to take Becca with me on a short hike near Tortugas Mountain this morning, but when she refused to climb the ramp into the back of Whitey the CR-V I took her on an abbreviated walk around our neighborhood.  After bringing her back into the house I drove over to the Sunset Area west of the mountain and did a long trek on the west side.

Many interesting things caught my attention and I ended up taking 95 photos, most images of the budding and blooming Barrel Cacti scattered throughout the foothills and beyond.  I ran into several people hiking with their dogs, one a woman named Lisa and her pooch Clover; Clover is a three-year-old Becca lookalike.  Becca and I have run into Lisa, her husband, Don, and Clover several times over the past few years.  Petting Clover this morning made me feel bad that I couldn't have Becca with me.

It was extremely hot in the northern Chihuahuan Desert this morning, and we're headed for the century mark today--a broiling 100 degrees!  On today's trek I felt really overheated and sweaty for the first time in a long while.

When I got home from the hike Becca greeted me enthusiastically; she seemed much better.  Perhaps the Rimadyl I gave her earlier and the rest she got from not trekking in the heat helped her recoup some of her energy.
Not for animals with diverticulitis

This and the next:  mountain biking just west of Tortugas Mountain


Tough climb up the mountain's west side

Variegated Fritillary

Reclusive Desert Marigold

Dirt road across the desert

This and all uncaptioned below: buds and flowers of Barrel Cacti









Large Ocotillos








Wide arroyo west of the mountain

This and all like-colored:  Nipple Beehive Cactus flowers



Spindly Ocotillo west of Tortugas Mountain

Looks like some type of flycatcher

Toma solo una foto, por favor





¡Basta!

¡AdiĆ³s!

Chihuahuan Flax and Claret Cup Hedgehog Cactus




This and the next:  Ocotillos west of Tortugas Mountain




1 comment:

Dr. K said...

You outdid yourself with your photos today, Packrat. The vibrant shades of the cactus blossoms and fruit are so beautiful.

Friday's Bushwhack

Cactulabra We got an early start on our hike this morning, Dr. K, Willow and I following our usual route across to the left branch arroyo.  ...