Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Early Risers in the Chihuahuan Desert

Contrail beacons over Tortugas
We got an early start on this warm morning in the northern Chihuahuan Desert; I had to remove my jacket after we had hiked only a short way due to high temperature.  I wore a short-sleeve shirt and long trousers for the trek, though I could easily have worn hiking shorts; but because we were going to do some bushwhacking I decided I didn't want to get my legs scratched up.  There were quite a few desert denizens awake and active when we got out there, and on the way back in we discovered a lot of outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain.  Seems everybody was enjoying the beautiful weather.  That's all going to change beginning tomorrow.
Cactus Wren

Cactus Wren

Soaptree Yucca and Picacho Peak on the horizon (right)

Loggerhead Shrike

Loggerhead Shrike

Cactus Wren

Cactus Wren

Cactus Wren

Flowers of the Busted Balloon Plant

White-winged Dove

White-winged Dove

Torrey Yuccas

Hedgehog Cactus, grasses, Prickly Pear, Ocotillo and mountains

Where there's smoke there's fire (except those are contrails)

Long view across the northern Chihuahuan Desert

We spotted the dogs roaming before we saw their human companion

At least one of them sees Becca and me

Nice looking German Shepherd

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos of the birds. I really like the lighting in the photo of the white-wing dove.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...