Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Meep Meep

Cactus garden in sunlight
Becca and I took an extra-long hike into the outback west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, and I shot a lot of photos--probably at least 20 or 25 of the Roadrunner alone.  On the way back in, just as we reached the gate at the dirt road and the trail back to the car, I thought I saw JC and Olivia driving out of the area.  To test my theory I whipped out my camera and used the full 65X optical zoom to photograph the vehicle I suspected of being theirs while it motored west on University Avenue.  Upon inspection of the photos of the car later I believe I have confirmed that it was indeed JC and Olivia.
The "I-think-I-see-a-critter" stare

Roadrunner on a rock

Greater Roadrunner

Shifting to another rock

As you can see, Roadrunners are members of the cuckoo family

He posed for a long time while I photographed him

Somebody stuck an orange peel on an Ocotillo

New Olympic event: Synchronized Hedgehog growth

West of Tortugas Mountain

Huge, old Ocotillo in an arroyo

New Soaptree Yucca growing next to a Barrel Cactus in an arroyo

Further west of Tortugas Mountain

Yuccas, Ocotillos and the Organ Mountains

Barrel Cactus fruit

Gambel's Quail (female)

Same female Gambel's Quail

Prickly Pear rabbit

I believe that's JC and Olivia's Honda near the Farm & Ranch Museum

Sure looks like JC and Olivia's Pilot

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful details in the photos of the quail and the roadrunner.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...