Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, January 27, 2020

Bushwhacking on a Monday

Favorite sandy spot
Variable weather on this Monday morning in our section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert.  It was a bit chilly at start, but halfway through my trek I removed my PolarTec jacket and, a little later, was considering taking off my Marmot PreCip when conditions began to change.

A wind picked up and began pushing dark clouds from the northwest.  Rain was definitely in the offing, and, in fact, I did get sprinkled on a tad.  But the storm never came while I was out there.

While I saw other outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain today I encountered no one.  Two of the trekkers I spotted from a great distance were Renee and his dog, Rayo, who were on their way up the trail to the high foothills.  I took a telephoto shot of them.

On the way home I stopped at the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum to ask if anyone knew who had built the wooden fence around the front of their property because I wanted to contact them.  The pleasant woman at the front desk informed me that the museum's own workers had erected it, and she gave me the card of the man who headed up the team.
Shark cloud

This and the next 2:  odd sky



Lennon yucca

Long-distance view of Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

Closer view

Soaptree under dark clouds

Some blue out yonder

Renee and Rayo

Bank of clouds

Storm clouds to the northwest

Getting darker

West of the mountain

Got sprinkled on after this

Javelina trench

Across the Mesilla Valley

This and the rest:  Cactus Wren in a Torrey Yucca



1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I really like that first photo of the Cactus Wren in the Torrey Yucca.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...