Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Another High Temperature

This and the next 6:  same Swainson's Hawk
We got an early start this morning, but it was hot, hot, hot out there already, and there was no stirring of air that could remotely be called breeze.  While I was photographing the Swainson's Hawk Dr. K spotted a lone woman hiking with a dog.  The woman leashed her canine before getting near, but we didn't cross paths with them because we were on LDR-A and they were ascending LDR.

We saw nobody else during the rest of our trek, which consisted of traveling up to Second Arroyo, ducking in for a shade and water break, and then returning to our waiting CR-V.

Just as we were finishing up a very slight breeze arose, but it was too little too late; I was, by then, perspiring enough already to have tied my moisture-absorbing towel onto the right shoulder strap of my pack in order to keep sweat salt out of my eyes.






This and the next: we've not had a good crop of Prickly Pear pears this season


Water from the same cup

This and the next:  Frio


This and the next:  Willow


Honey Mesquite thorns

Gambel's Quail

Heelers

This and the next:  same Gambel's Quail


Dr. K with the Heelers

This and the next:  Southwestern Earless Lizard


One of two Swainson's Hawks riding the thermals

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Nice photos of that interesting Southwestern Earless Lizard.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...