Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Coyote Encounter

Small Soaptree Yucca far southwest of the mountains
Hiked with the Heelers up to First Arroyo early this morning.  Along the way both Frio and Willow were tempted by a couple of jackrabbits crossing the trail ahead, but neither dog showed any real interest in chasing the critters.

We entered the arroyo and stopped for a drink; in so doing I had to let the Heelers off lead in order to slip out of my pack to retrieve the drinking cup and water.  Both dogs were very well behaved.

I put them back on lead for the trip back to our waiting CR-V, and it's a good thing I did.  As we were approaching the crest of LDR a coyote crossed the trail ahead of us.  It got Frio and Willow's attention, and both dogs pulled mightily ahead, nearly toppling me over; fortunately I had a doubly strong grip on both leads.  As we continued upward I noticed the Trickster standing still behind a bush watching us.  Since neither dog seemed aware that the coyote had stopped to stare I managed to get a few photos of it.

Desert Cardinal (Pyrrhuloxia)

This and the next:  Willow and Frio in First Arroyo


This and the next 2:  Soaptree Yuccas in or around First Arroyo



Climbing up to that ridgeline

Frio and Willow trekking along the ridge

Barrel Cactus, Ocotillos and Soaptree Yuccas

This and the next:  same Soaptree Yucca


LDR

Launch from White Sands Missile Range

This and the next:  Trickster


 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Good photos of the coyote, Packrat. I'm amazed you were able to photograph it while holding on to the dogs' leads.

Decent Little Bushwhack

1st 4:  Claret Cups Even though the Swainson's Hawk wasn't perched atop the Torrey Yucca on the crest of 4210 hill we decided to bus...