Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Hot, Humid and Breezeless

Ocotillos on a hill
Willow Frio and I weren't so lucky on our morning trek today; the sun shone brightly, the humidity was high and there wasn't a whisper of a breeze.  Nevertheless, we hiked up to Second Arroyo, took a shade and water break inside, and then headed back.

I chose to return via LDR-A because I'd seen some Nipple Beehive Cacti that seemed on the verge of blooming fully, and I hoped that if we got back to them after our outing I might catch the blossoms open; it wasn't to be, though.

I'd like to say we saw nobody else during our explorations in our section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert, but as we exited Second Arroyo we encountered the woman we see fairly often running with her dog.  Frio was well behaved, only barking once at the joggers, but Willow was incredibly bad, lunging, barking and snarling at the two.  And then she pulled incessantly on the way back as she tried to inhale the scent of each and every paw print the canine interloper left behind along the way.

This & the next 2:  Barrel Cactus



Desert Zinnia bouquet

This & the next 5:  Barrel Cacti






Type of Senna with tiny yellow flowers?

This & the next 2:  Black-tailed Jackrabbit



Willow and Frio in Second Arroyo

Inside Second Arroyo

This & the next:  Desert Zinnia


Gambel's Quail

This & the next:  desert or jungle?


Last 2:  Nipple Beehive Cactus


 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Gorgeous photos of the cacti you saw on your hike this morning. My favorites are the first two photos that you took of the Barrel Cactus.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...