Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Inoculated by a Mesquite

This is the Chihuahuan Desert?
Becca had to sit out another day of trekking because of her leg, but she's limping a lot less this morning than she was yesterday.  She'll probably have to take another day off before getting back into the desert for a short hike.  During my hike this morning I ran into a friendly acquaintance, Raymond (aka "Ramon") near the western flank of Tortugas; we talked for about fifteen minutes, primarily about achy knees.  I saw a few other outdoor enthusiasts, but ran into nobody else.  When I got home I got up on the roof to make sure the evaporative cooler is working properly--we're slated to be in the high 90s today--and then I got a long stick to snag a couple of beer bottles that had been thrown onto our front property.  One was beneath a large mesquite tree that has fairly thick undergrowth.  Despite being extremely cautious while getting the beer bottle I got stabbed in the ankle in several places, tiny drops of blood bubbling out to show me exactly where the injections went in.
Early morning hunt

What are you gawking at?

In hot pursuit

This gully . . .

. . . comes out of the mountain here

I'm going to say Cabbage White (Peiris rapae)

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful butterfly wings on the Cabbage White (strange name!).

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...