Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, June 11, 2018

Big Hat in the Wind

Unidentified moth I captured and released from the house
Becca and I did a longer hike this morning on the Sunset side of Tortugas Mountain.  None of the local meteorologists had mentioned anything about strong winds for today so I was slightly frustrated at having to hold my wide-brimmed hat in place at times.  The wind also brought in smoke from the Mescalero fire on the reservation, and the unmistakable smell of it was in the air.  About midway through our excursion I noticed Becca had a slight gimp.  I've ordered a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement for her to see if it helps.

When we pulled into our driveway after our trek this morning I was surprised to see our good buddy Jimmy come in right behind us in his Toyota Tacoma truck.  Apparently he had tried to get my attention as we were pulling out of the Sunset parking area, but I didn't notice him.  I left Becca in the RAV4 while Jimmy greeted her, then he and I stood talking for fifteen or twenty minutes before he took off.  He hadn't yet done his morning hike.  Awfully nice of him to come all this way just to see how we were doing.
Black-throated Sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata)

Black-throated Sparrow

Black-throated Sparrow

Ahead of the pack

Cactus Wren in a yucca

Whoa Nellie

Cactus Wren

Different Cactus Wren

There was smoke in the air from the Mescalero fire

Klingon rock with a Native American shadow

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the markings on both the black-throated sparrow and the cactus wren. Nice photos, Packrat.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...