Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, November 15, 2019

Extra-Early Trek

First 3:  this morning's moon outside of and inside a contrail
I got a really early start on this morning's hike, and it was fairly cold (34F) with a substantial breeze.  I ended up hiking long enough, though, to have to remove one layer of outerwear--my Marmot PreCip jacket--because the sunshine was strong.  Couldn't jettison the vest, though, because a light breeze persisted throughout the trek.

I hadn't planned on doing any significant bushwhacking; it just worked out that way.  I always get hopeful about encountering a few larger representative mammals of the northern Chihuahuan Desert, but my hopes were dashed again this morning.

I saw a few humans on my way back later in the morning, but not my pal Jimmy even though I did see his Tacoma parked behind Whitey the CR-V when I finally reached my ride.


Switchback up the mountainside

Near the mountain's west side

View to the southwest

This and the next:  inside an arroyo looking opposite ways


Brother Jackrabbit

Interesting looking Soaptree Yucca

This and the next:  2 views of the yucca top


This and the next 2:  Ladder-backed Woodpecker



My favorite Torrey Yucca

Final 3:  Soaptree Yuccas along my bushwhacking route



1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I love those photos of the ladder back woodpecker, especially the 3rd one.

Midweek Trek

1st 11 images:  Swainson's Hawk atop Torrey Yucca We did our normal hike this morning, adding extra distance by bushwhacking over toward...