Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, July 18, 2014

Consequence of the Drought?

Straight shot along the west side of Tortugas
This year I've noticed a lot of Ocotillos with exposed roots.  I'm wondering if it's a result of our persistent drought.  I've read that as the water table recedes the earth begins to sink because of lack of moisture.  With sandy soil becoming ever more "powder-like" it seems to be increasingly susceptible to being swept away from plants by powerful winds.  This Ocotillo root exposure can be particularly disastrous as its root system is only six-inches deep--an evolutionary adaptation that allows the plant to collect rainwater quickly.
Two Devil's Heads are better than one

Much-needed respite

Reluctant to leave the shade
Exposed root of an Ocotillo


How Ocotillos are normally rooted to earth

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Really interesting information about ocotillos, Packrat.

The Lowdown

Willow looking over her domain Forest hike this morning.  Back to the cabin to pack.  Drive down the mountain to the lower desert where we a...