Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Maybe I'm Wile E. Coyote

One of a pair of ravens nesting atop an old experimental tower
While I was photographing a flower in the high foothills this morning I heard the wooden-clacker-like trill Roadrunners often make while hunting.  I couldn't see him at first, but suddenly he was coming up the trail behind me, totally unafraid.  Becca had gone up ahead to explore, but even when she returned the Roadrunner was undeterred from his hunt.  I've had Roadrunners approach me before, but never at this close range.  He was literally only three feet away from me at one moment.  Because Becca listens to me so well she made no move toward the bird, and we got to watch him catch an insect and eat it while standing a mere five feet from us.  I really love these denizens of the Desert Southwest; they are such characters.
Velvety nerisyrenia

Not long now

Claret Cactus buds

What are these two up to?

Becca's happy to be back on the trail after a five-day hiatus

Yucca blooming

Torrey Yucca blooming in the high foothills

Her sprained left leg kept her off the trail for five days

Each day off made her more eager to get back out here

Time to skedaddle

Another Bicolor fanmustard

Look who's hunting in the high foothills

Closeup of the Roadrunner's right profile

Look at the markings on its back

I'm under scrutiny

Getting a better look

Keeping an eye out for breakfast

What a beauty!

Turning its back

Meep meep

Nevermore

Incoming

Giddy on nectar

So happy to be out in the desert once more

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

What a relief for all of us that Becca is back to her daily hikes. Those photos of the roadrunner capture its distinguishing marks so well.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...