Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Some Like It Hot

The shadow of Tortugas Mountain
Some people (like Dr. K) don't mind if the desert heats up early (even if it's an indication of Global Warming) as long as they're nice and toasty.  I, for one, don't care to slip into the oppressive days of summer before we even have some slightly warmer spring days as precursor.  I wore a light warmup jacket as Becca and I headed out this morning, but had to remove it before we'd gone even an eighth of a mile.  Looks as if we're headed for the mid-80s again today and for several days in the immediate future.
Still in the shadow

The mountain's shadow and distant sunlight

Claret Cup Cactus

Keeping an eye on Becca and me while eating

Just another bite before I take off

More Claret Cup Cactus flowers

Closeup of two blossoms


Yucca and moon

The edge of yucca

Moon and Ocotillo branches

Setting moon

Cactus Wrens are among the noisiest of desert birds

Pirate?

Spectaclepod growing in the middle of a Soaptree Yucca

Nine photos of bees on Velvety Nerisyrenia?  Yep









Blooming yucca in the high foothills

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Nice close-up photos of the bee. I wish I could have been with you--instead, I was in rainy Portland.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...