Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Noisy Saturday

Intimidating stare of the Black-throated Sparrow
There were too many people on and about the mountain this morning as Becca and I took a moderately-long hike along the west side of Tortugas Mountain and then down into the lower desert region I call the "outback."  One woman and one man were particularly annoying, yelling out their dog's name--which sounded like "Poppy"--over and over again.  When they finally decided to descend from the mountain road to where Becca and I were on the upper foothills trail the woman said "Good morning" to me, but I wasn't particularly friendly, mainly because they were ruining the peaceful desert quiet.  The man had a well-behaved Pitbull on a lead.  They started down into the lower desert when I noticed a small dog greeting Becca behind me.  I said to the woman, "Is this your dog?"  Yes, it was, and she immediately put it on a leash, raising the question in my mind as to why she'd ever let it off in the first place.  People.  You gotta love 'em.  Or do you?
Nearly dried flowers of Wild Rhubarb

Scorpionweed

Brief sandy respite

Early morning, Chihuahuan Desert

Something about that cloud

Desert dogs know where to find shade

Tall Torrey Yucca west of Tortugas Mountain

Here I go with the Ocotillo buds again




More Claret Cups

Staring at something on the mountain

White-winged Dove in an Ocotillo tangle

Photographed this cactus just yesterday, and already there are more flowers

Thorny red

What can I say?

Triplets

I'm getting carried away

Future beauty

Opening tomorrow

Lots of Velvety nerisyrenia in the desert

Venn diagrams, Prickly Pear style

This homely bud will produce what you see below

Yucca flower stalk



Black-throated Sparrow looking skyward

One way up the mountain

White Tackstem

House Finch

3 comments:

JACQUELINE said...

Stunning wildflowers. It must be early Spring; are they blooming early?

packrat said...

Hi Jacqui:

Lots of early blooms this spring. It looks as if plants are safe because no more freezes are likely.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Cheers

Dr. K said...

We never really had a winter to speak of. Maybe we'll be surprised by cold weather and wind in the next few weeks, but I hope not.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...