Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, May 8, 2017

Becca's Best Bud

Flycatcher
Becca and I did a moderately-long hike this morning during which I noted the abundance of Ash-throated Flycatchers so far this spring.  What could this mean--an overabundance of flies and flying insects?  Perhaps.  On the final leg of our trek we ran into Becca's favorite hiker friend, Jimmy, who seemed as happy to see her as she was glad to encounter him.  Jimmy and I talked for about twenty minutes while Becca lay in the sand; she got up every once in a while to let me know I was lingering too long.
I'm pretty certain it's an Ash-throated Flycatcher

If you snap that photo . . .

. . . I'll scream for help

Down the deeply rutted single-track

Soaptree Yuccas and the Organ Mountains

Torrey Yucca fruit

Along the outer-loop road

Shade break in desert sand

Single-stalk Soaptree Yucca west of Tortugas Mountain

You talking to me?

Ocotillo buds hanging out (Fouquieria splendens)

Palo Verde Tree (Parkinsonia aculeata)

Palo Verde Tree flowers

Palo Verde Tree flowers

Desert Willows alongside the house

Desert landscaping

Desert Willow

Blind Prickly Pear

Cholla

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

It's nice to see some of the palo verde trees in full bloom. That tells me that summer is truly here in the lower desert.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...