Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Changeover Day

Allthorn
I shortened my solo hike significantly this morning so I could get home, shut down our furnace and switch over to the evaporative cooler.  Before I did that, though, I had to drive across town to Passage Supply Co. to buy new cooling pads:  $87.  Then I brought them home, changed out the old for new pads, put the fan belt on the motor and blower wheel, hooked up the water pump, turned on the water to the reservoir and "fired" the darned thing up.  We now have evaporation-cooled air flowing into our house.  Before the afternoon is over Dr. K will be complaining about how cold it is inside. :)
Mountain biking in the Land of Enchantment

Creosote Bush seed balls

Typical Chihuahuan Desert scene

Mormon Tea flowers

Wooly Paperflower

Soaptree Yucca flower stalks often bend under their own weight

Soaptree Yucca is blossoming all over the desert

Hummer

Definitely a large den

Long view to the Organ Mountains

Whitethorn Acacia

Won't be long now for this Parry's Agave

Same Parry's Agave

Above the high foothills

Ash-throated Flycatcher in a yucca

Waiting to ambush flies

Yuccas

Three stalks on one Soaptree Yucca

Tres hermanas

Desert just beyond the city of Las Cruces

Unhappy camper

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Nice photos of the flycatcher, very detailed.

Fortunately Becca's leg is getting better.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...