Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sunday Shuffle

Early shade break for the Beckster
Dr. K, Becca and I did a semi-long hike on the west side of Tortugas Mountain this morning primarily so Dr. K could see all the Strawberry Hedgehog Cacti in bloom.  Short story:  they weren't blooming.  Don't know if we arrived a little late--as the morning had heated us significantly--or whether there was another reason the buds had not opened.  She was a bit disappointed.  Good thing I've taken so many photos of late.  I've shot a lot of images of that Parry's Agave as well, but it's taking its good old time flowering.
Say's Phoebe

Same Say's Phoebe

Same Say's Phoebe at takeoff

Happy Mother's Day

I am a rock. Round-tailed  Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma modestum)

Up close and personal with Soaptree Yucca flowers

Ocotillo (right) and yuccas west of Tortugas Mountain

Cicada, aka "Cactus Dodger" (Cacama valvata)

Getting really close to blossoming

Rush Skeletonweed (Chondrilla juncea) and Sand Bells (Nama hispidum)

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The unique sound of cicadas are a part of summer in the desert. I didn't know they were called cactus dodgers--interesting name.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...