Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Feels Like Monsoon Season

Cactus Wren (Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus)
Very steamy in the Chihuahuan Desert this morning.  With the sun beating down I won't be surprised if we get rain this afternoon.  I'll be a little POed if we do, though.  When Becca and I got back from our trek Dr. K and I applied diatomaceous earth in the anthills in our yard to try and control an infestation that has only worsened since last year.  I suspect the drought may be a contributing factor in the proliferation of the insects, but I don't know for sure.  Diatomaceous earth is an abrasive that breaks down an ant's protective body cover.
Becca (Canus lupus familiaris)

Steamy morning in the Chihuahuan Desert

More Ocotillos should be leafing out soon

Scratch and sniff (Whitethorn Acacia, Vachellia constricta)

Desert greening out

Scaled Quail (Callipepla squamata)

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I always get a kick out of the way that cactus wrens sound--it's very distinctive and unique in the desert southwest.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...