Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Another Solo

Conditions at start of hike
Did a solo hike departing from the western gate of Geothermal Road this morning.  I detoured off the road and into the major east/west arroyo and headed toward Tortugas Mountain.

I saw nor bumped into any other people out there, but I did encounter several Jackrabbits, a Red-tailed Hawk and the beautiful young Mule Deer doe pictured below.  She and I stood observing one another while I snapped photos.  Then I made a point of turning around so as not to make her run.

I climbed up to the northernmost dirt road, followed it east toward the mountain until it intersected with what I call the "Crosscut Trail," and followed that trail to the southernmost dirt road.  I headed west on that road until reaching the dirt road that heads north to the road I was originally on.  Halfway back I decided to bushwhack over to Geothermal Road, which I then followed back to the waiting CR-V.

Climbing Milkweed

Mesquite beans

This and the next 5:  Buffalo Gourd (Cucurbita foetidissima)






This and the next:  Hairy False Goldenaster


Climbing Milkweed

This and the next 2:  the arroyo I've been exploring



This and the next 2:  Hairy False Goldenaster



This and the next 2:  arroyo west of Tortugas Mountain



First thought:  Great Horned Owl

Closer look:  dead yucca stalk

Hello.  Who's that watching me?

A young Mule Deer doe

Guess you can see why they're called "Mule" Deer

Momentary distraction

This and the next 4:  same Red-tailed Hawk





Huge Ocotillo

This and the next 2:  last of the blooming Barrel Cacti?



This and the next 2:  up on the northernmost dirt road



This and the next:  Queen butterfly on Climbing Milkweed


Climbing Milkweed

Red Mesquite beans

 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Wow--gorgeous photos today, Packrat, especially the ones of the mule deer and the red-tail hawk.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...