Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

After the Snow

The scene that greeted Frio and me when we arrived at Tortugas Mountain
Just as Frio and I got out of the Jeep and started hiking early this morning we saw a man waiting near the entrance boulders; Frio gave a few barks before we realized it was our pal Raymond.  We all hiked together up a good portion of the mountain road before Frio and I peeled off to head for the lower elevation.

He and I did a good long trek in our section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert, which was good and wet from yesterday's snow.  Much of the snow had failed to stick, but that which did created many beautiful scenes, some pictured here.

I experimented again with letting Frio off lead, hiking that way for the length of two football fields before attaching the tether again.  I wanted to see how far he would wander from the main trail before coming back; I'd estimate the distance at 20 or 25 feet before he'd look to monitor my position.  At one point I stopped completely to see how long it would take for him to recognize my action; he rejoined me almost immediately.  This is all very encouraging, but I feel pretty certain he'll bolt after a fleeing Desert Cottontail or Jackrabbit that catches his attention.  This is a behavior that took a year or so to get under control with our former dog, Becca.  Can't blame a dog for doing what a dog will do.
Frio and I were hiking with my friend Raymond when I took this photo

Parry's Agave with a coat of snow

Frio watching Raymond head up the mountain road

Beyond the flank of Tortugas you can make out the Organ Mountains

Bishop Cap with a dusting of the white stuff

Cloudy Organ Mountains

Torrey Yucca

Powdered sugar snow

Ocotillos and a yucca

Mormon Tea in snow

This and the next:  bend in the road


Ocotillo and Torrey Yucca that have grown up together

This and the next 2:  Mr. Frio checking out new territory



Mormon Tea and Ocotillos

Ocotillos

Soaptree Yucca at the side of the road west

Some areas were whiter than others

Testing the olfactory nerves

Huge old Ocotillo

Frio catching up

Long view to the Organs

Banana Yucca sabers with snow

We're on our way back up to the high foothills

Road around Tortugas

Perspective

Tallest Soaptree Yucca in this area, a 20-foot snow catcher

In the high foothills

Barrel Cactus à la mode

Late for Christmas, but . . . (Soaptree Yucca stalk)

3 comments:

scotmet said...

Another good day out with Frio. I know he loves the outings.

packrat said...

You're right, Scott. Frio is a real gamer. :)

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos of the snow. I especially like the ones you captioned "Bend in the Road." Frio is so cute!

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...