Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Already Hot

This and the next 4:  Gopher Snake in our path
Frio walked right up to the pictured snake before we even saw it; fortunately I quickly noted the narrow tapered tail and knew it wasn't a rattler.  Nevertheless I backed both Frio and Willow away from the Gopher Snake.

Dr. K held the dogs while I snapped a few photos.  Then I took the Heelers on their leads a bit closer to the snake, threw a few pebbles to get it moving, and when the dogs expressed interest in the critter in motion I cautioned both of them by saying "No!" (for Willow's benefit) and pulling back on their leads.  Frio is very responsive to the leash and he looked at me in such a way as to indicate he got the message.

After that it was up to the second arroyo for a shade and water break, a bit of exploring and photographing on my part, and then back out to LDR for the trek to our waiting CR-V. 


See how those markings blend into the underbrush

Great example of pattern camouflage

Willow and Frio

Gaping maw (actually a spent Soaptree Yucca seed pod)

Ran across this character again

Crank for hand starting a Model T yucca

Up the arroyo

This and the next:  Greened-out Ocotillos and the Organ Mountains


1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I really like the angle of the photo of the Soaptree Yucca pod. That gopher snake had some great camouflage.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...