Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Cloudy Day

This kind of day so far (2:05 p.m.) in the Chihuahuan Desert
Becca and I got an early start on our morning hike, and the weather was fairly warm for mid-February:  46F when we headed out.  The cloud cover, no doubt, kept the temperature up, and the skies remained cloudy all day (so far).  We had a nice, somewhat shorter trek because I thought I detected a slight hitch in Becca's giddyup.  She was good throughout the outing, though, and she seems all right here at home.  We saw a few other enthusiasts on and about the mountain, but the Sunset Parking lot was sparsely populated with vehicles when we got back to Whitey the CR-V.  I did take my Garmin GPS unit with me and used it to mark a track during our trek, but I didn't feel compelled to do a screenshot of the Google Earth satellite image.
Same scene as yesterday, different weather conditions

Hiking along the ridge west of Tortugas Mountain

Becca on the ridge line

This and the next 2:  Lyreleaf Jewelflowers



Having a blast in the cloudy weather

Sandy section of the desert west of the mountain

Nerisyrenia Camporum

Bushwhacking Becca

Checking out the area

Scouting around

White-winged Dove

The same White-winged Dove

Soaptree Yucca and the Franklin Mountains

Soaptree Yuccas and the Franklin Mountains

Bicolor Fanmustard

More mustards

This and the next:  Lyreleaf Jewelflowers


1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Doves are some of the most common birds we see in this area, but they're still some of my favorites, especially their birdsong.

Hike First Shop Later

1st 2:  Western Kingbird ( Tyrannus verticalis) Regular hike for Dr. K, Willow and me this morning.  We saw a Western Kingbird, a Swainson&#...