Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, July 19, 2026

Rattler and Cardinal

At the trailhead
Heavy overcast when Dr. K, Willow and I started our hike this morning; conditions remained the same throughout the trek.  On the way down LDR-A arroyo we spotted a medium-sized Western Diamondback rattlesnake at the side of the trail.  It wasn't perturbed until I moved a skosh nearer to photograph and video it; then it gave me the traditional warning:  "Back off!"  I complied.  A bit later I was able to photograph a Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal), but the lighting was really poor.  It sat on the same creosote branch for a very long time.  After our outing we took a long drive.
This & next:  Western Diamondback we spotted


Desert Marigold

Willow on a bed of sand

This & next 2:  Desert Cardinal



Prickly Pear cactus loaded with fruit

Little barrel cactus with buds

 

No comments:

Rattler and Cardinal

At the trailhead Heavy overcast when Dr. K, Willow and I started our hike this morning; conditions remained the same throughout the trek.  O...