Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, April 28, 2008

Mad Dogs and Englishmen


We came upon this little snake in the desert west of Tortugas Mountain today. It was about two feet long and very skinny. After I'd taken a few photos, it rapidly slithered away. I did not recognize this snake, so back at the observation center I consulted our well-worn book, Deserts, one of the Audubon Society Nature Guides. From my research, I believe I've identified this little reptile as a Big Bend Patchnose Snake. The photo in the book and my photo are almost identical. Apparently, the Big Bend Patchnose can withstand really hot temperatures, and is able to hunt lizards even in the midday sun.

No comments:

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...