Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Three-Canid Day

A vine's reproductive strategy
We spotted three canids in the desert this morning, a coyote and two stray dogs.  One of the dogs was white and furry.  They were out there alone.  I whistled at them twice, but they ran.  I've rescued several dogs before--one, a young Rottweiler,  from the Aguirre Springs National Recreation Area in the Organ Mountains.  After I pulled cactus spikes from his legs, I took him to the Animal Shelter and paid the $35 adoption fee.  The other dog had a phone number on its collar, and I was able to reunite it with its owner.

Happy Soaptree Yuccas in a large arroyo

Blown to smithereens

On the lookout

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

I hope those two stray dogs find their homes.

Scott said...

Packrat, do you know the identity of that vine? It looks like a relative of milkweed.

I lived in central Florida for 7 years, and there were many strays roaming the back roads. One day, while running, I even came across a guy dumping a dog along a roadside and speeding off.

Though my wife and I love New Mexico, two perceptions we've often come away with when we visit are that (1) there are a lot of strays wandering around, and (2) people don't take very good care of their dogs in the rural parts of the state. Becca is so lucky!

packrat said...

If I'm not mistaken, Scott, it's Poison Milkweed.

Here in the Southwest I've lived in New Mexico, Texas and Arizona, and people are terrible about caring for their dogs. Too much sun baking people's brains, perhaps.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...