Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Long Hike

Heading down the mountain
We went much further today than planned, even though it was significantly colder this morning:  27 F. when we started off.  I really wanted to check the accuracy of my GPS unit in face of the solar flares that have been blasting the earth.  My track looked remarkably accurate, so the satellite signals to my unit were not disrupted.  Did some bushwhacking, even stopping at midpoint in the large arroyo that runs out of Tortugas Mountain and eventually passes right beside our house.
Looking back toward the mountains


Google Earth aerial view of the same (above) perspective

Houses at the edge of the desert


Closeup of one of the houses

Major arroyo that runs out of the mountains and eventually past our house

Same arroyo location (center bottom) as above photo, Google Earth view

Waypoint #8:  where we stopped bushwhacking to intersect dirt road

3 comments:

Tonia said...

Interesting Google Earth tracks. I didnt know about the solar flares but they dont seem to have had any major effects that I can see. Is that your house? The big white one?

Dr. K said...

I love the Google earth shots.

packrat said...

Tonia: the big white house belongs, I'm sure, to somebody whose pay grade is a few levels above mine.

:)

Friday Free-For-All

Soaptree Yucca at the side of LDR-A We got an early start this morning, but not as early as the Basset people and their hounds who we spotte...