Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Longer Hike

On the rim trail
Becca and I got a lot of exercise out in the desert this morning, hiking along the rim trail and then down into the lower regions before taking the far outer loop road into the outback.  We did a little semi-bushwhacking before striking back to the old loop road.  We saw only one other person--a woman with a German Shepherd called Kaiser.  I'm surprised by how many Torrey Yuccas are already in full bloom; that's a tad early for them, but our weather has been very springlike.

In the outback

An almost nonexistent trail


Torrey Yucca in bloom

Beautiful flowers

Soft flowers on a sharp plant

5 comments:

Scott said...

Do the Torrey yuccas die after they have flowered like other yuccas do? They are beautiful. Do the blossoms have an odor? (So many questions...)

Dr. K said...

The blossoms don't really have an odor (that I remember), but they have a slightly sweet taste.

Tonia said...

I always find it astonishing that so much of interest can be found in what seems, at first glance, to be a beleak environment. You seem to find beauty everywhere you go.

packrat said...

Scott:

The flowers of the Torrey Yucca have little fragrance, but, as Dr. K said, they are somewhat sweet tasting. The Apaches ate the fruit from this species of yucca. The Torrey Yucca doesn't die after blooming; neither does the Soaptree Yucca. The flowers of the Soaptree Yucca are also sweet, and the Native Americans used them in a salad of sorts.

packrat said...

Tonia:

This is a Navajo prayer from a blessing ceremony.

Walking In Beauty (Blessing)

Today I will walk out, today everything unnecessary will leave me,
I will be as I was before, I will have a cool breeze over my body.
I will have a light body, I will be happy forever,
nothing will hinder me.
I walk with beauty before me. I walk with beauty behind me.
I walk with beauty below me. I walk with beauty above me.
I walk with beauty around me. My words will be beautiful.

In beauty all day long may I walk.
Through the returning seasons, may I walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
With dew about my feet, may I walk.

With beauty before me may I walk.
With beauty behind me may I walk.
With beauty below me may I walk.
With beauty above me may I walk.
With beauty all around me may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
My words will be beautiful.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...