Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, March 9, 2018

80 Degrees Fahrenheit (27C)

Steep arroyo west of Tortugas Mountain
Becca and I got started fairly early this morning, and it was immediately obvious that even a light jacket was going to be too much clothing.  So Becca removed hers right away.  We were about an eighth mile in when I took my Marmot PreCip off.  I love my PreCip even though it's really meant for rainy conditions; it's very lightweight, breathable, and it has armpit zips.  Gotta have armpit zips!  There were other outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain, but we didn't run into any of them.  I have to admit I was hoping we'd encounter Luke and Leia on our inbound leg; but no such luck.
Clouds over Tortugas

One trail up the mountain's west side

Mormon Tea (Ephedra viridis) and Prickly Pear Cactus (Opuntia)

Got an itch?

Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) on a wire

Yuccas on the flank

Heading for higher ground

Claret Cup buds getting close

This Strawberry Hedgehog Cactus . . .

. . . already has a few buds

Scout

Pretty clouds to the south

Not Hawaii

More pretty clouds toward El Paso

What's that growing on the Ocotillo wand?

A Loggerhead Shrike and a new bud

Franklin Mountains near El Paso

Cactus Wren (Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus)

Same Cactus Wren

Finding water in the desert

Our pal the Desert Cottontail

Vectors

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The photo "Same Cactus Wren" is beautiful. This warm weather is giving me spring fever.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...