Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, June 30, 2008

Creepy Crawlies


At about 10:20 last night, when I let Research Associate Becca out into the backyard to relieve herself, I saw this nocturnal beauty by one of Dr. K's flower pots. Fortunately, Becca didn't see it or else she would have been poking her nosey nose right into the unsuspecting critter. I was able to get Becca back inside and grab my camera for a rare nighttime portrait.
This second tarantula I photographed in Soledad Canyon last year. Notice the difference in color between the two arachnids. Both were fairly large individuals, their bodies between 3 and 4 inches long.

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The bite of a tarantula isn't supposed to be as bad as the bite of a scorpion, I think. But a tarantula looks a lot scarier!

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...