Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

An Awesome Find

All red flowers are Claret Cups (Scarlet Hedgehog)
Major bushwhacking excursion this morning, part planned and part unplanned; the unplanned bit was the result of spotting a spectacular Claret Cup Hedgehog Cactus specimen in a difficult area off a long disused dirt road where Becca and I hiked fairly frequently.  Frio and Willow didn't seem to mind.

One funny incident from today's outing.  Just as soon as we hit the old dirt road I let the Heelers off lead so I could get us all a drink of water.  I planned to let them hike off lead for a while from there, but as soon as we started off I noticed a dead rabbit not five paces ahead.  I immediately put the dogs back on their leads.  Willow was uninterested in the rabbit, but Frio took a long look at it.

Ten or fifteen yards further along the road I let the Heelers off lead again, and Mr. Frio turned around and made a beeline for dead Br'er Rabbit.  I yelled at him despite his deafness, and went running to catch him, Willow jogging at my side.  Before I could reach him Frio had the carcass in his mouth and was staring back at us.  I gave the "drop" signal with my hand, and he dropped it immediately.  The only way I could scold him was to wag a finger in his face, and, not surprisingly, he knew he'd done wrong.  When, upon returning home, I told Dr. K about the incident we both had a good laugh over it.
View from a hill alongside the long dirt road

Tortugas (left) and the Organ Mountains

A desert wash

Heelers in a wash


Intersections

Old, disused dirt road


This and the next:  crazy clouds


A spectacular find







Flank of Tortugas and the Organs

This and the next:  blossoming buddies


Looking across the Mesilla Valley

Green Mesquite Tree

The majestic Organ Mountains

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

So nice that you discovered that spectacular Claret Cup cactus, and your photos do justice to its beauty.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...