Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Another Hot One

The long view across the desert to Tortugas Mountain
I took the Heelers for a morning hike by myself today, and they were exceedingly well behaved.  Of course, we didn't run into any people or people with dogs to test their good behavior.  That's just as well.

We did a lot of bushwacking, and I let them off lead three separate times, the last for longer duration.  I was impressed by how they stuck closer to me than ever before; to be sure, though, I'm not convinced I can trust them completely.  They have made phenomenal progress, however, and I'm inclined to experiment further with their trustworthiness.

We were out in our section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert just short of two hours, and we all kept well hydrated on this day of rapidly mounting heat.  They also took several shade breaks without me suggesting they do so.  :)
All red flowers are Claret Cup (Scarlet) Hedgehog Cactus




This and the next:  small Mesquite Tree leafing out


This and the next:  the most oddly warped Prickly Pear pad I've ever seen






This and the next:  I'm going with Abert's Wild Buckwheat

Eriogonum abertianum


Heelers

Computer-enhanced White Tackstem

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

That strangely shaped prickly pear cactus looks like a modernist sculpture. Beautiful photos of all of the desert blooms.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...