Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, January 12, 2015

Javelina Cantina


Javelina (Collared Peccary) at far left (you can see its right ear)
Yesterday in the early afternoon my neighbors' Chihuahua dogs were going bonkers, snarling and barking, entering our yard to chase something.  When I went outside and looked over our wooden fence--the side closest to the arroyo--I saw a Javelina standing on the arroyo bank near our fence.  It's the first I've ever seen in this area.  I got my camera and tried to get a picture, but it trotted down toward the end of our yard.  When I went outside and around the fence, the Javelina saw me and raised its hackles before crossing the arroyo into the desert near another neighbor's yard.  I suspect it was getting a drink at our water hole when the Chihuahuas got wind of it.  You can get a good look at Javelinas by following this link:  http://a-z-animals.com/animals/collared-peccary/pictures/3621/
Yesterday's fog is gone

Cloudy skies

Dip into a deep arroyo
Critter search

Dark clouds over Tortugas and the Organs

On the road again

Typical Chihuahuan Desert scene
Wind power

On the outer loop road

Heading back to the Tortoise

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I hope that javelina made it out of our neighborhood where it could do no harm (and not be hurt itself).

Views from the Grand View

Sacramentos We did the Grand View Trail this morning, surprised that nobody else was there on a Sunday morning.  We hiked the entire first l...