Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, January 6, 2018

IDing a Hawk

Huge Old Prickly Pear Cactus
Becca and I took a fairly long trek west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, and not long after we got home I noticed a small hawk in one of the Mesquite Trees on the west side of our property; it was sitting above the waterhole eyeing small birds below.  I shot a couple of photos of it before stepping outside to see if I could sneak up for a better view.  The hawk became aware of me right away, though I was able to snap about twenty photos before it took off.  Since I never got a frontal view of the raptor, and couldn't really make out the features of its tail, it was difficult to ID.  My best guess is that it was a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.
Puffed up Loggerhead Shrike (Lanius ludovicianus) on a wire

Becca on the trail across the western flank of the mountain

I can picture this in pastels

Soaptree Yuccas west of Tortugas Mountain

More Soaptree Yuccas and the Organ Mountains

Torrey Yucca and a dog

Torrey Yucca

Abundant growth along an arroyo

Don't think about #2

The 100-yard stare

Long view of Tortugas and the Organs

Mountain biker

Mountain biking the Desert Southwest

Mountain biker on the road around the mountain

In the distance:  Bishop Cap (left) and the Franklin Mountains

View west across the undulating desert

Road to the mesa

Who's that in our Mesquite Tree?

My presence has been noted

Either a young Red-tailed Hawk or a Sharp-shinned Hawk

I'm going to guess "juvenile Red-tailed Hawk"

Almost ready to take off

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Great photos of the hawk in our mesquite tree, especially the last photo. I can see where the expression "hawkeye" came from.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...