Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Day of the Eclipse

A few minutes before the total eclipse
I got up early to try to capture a few images of the moon during the eclipse, but I'm disappointed with my efforts.  I couldn't get a sharp image with my Canon, and when I ran to get my Sony Alpha 100 I discovered the battery was almost totally discharged.  Oh well.  The early start allowed us to get out to Tortugas Mountain with plenty of time to extend our hike by several miles.  Before we'd gone even half a mile I had to remove my jacket and vest; we're headed for a high of 73F today, and, without a breeze in the desert the conditions were already feeling plenty warm.  Becca didn't seem to mind, however, totally involved in sniffing every other bush in the outback.
A few seconds before totality

Part of the city of Las Cruces, New Mexico

Steep flank of Tortugas Mountain

Looking that way . . .

. . . and this

The trail ahead

Down the narrow single-track

A couple of 10+ foot Torrey Yuccas

Before I could get a decent photo of this Loggerhead Shrike . . .

. . . it took off

Spent seed pods of a Soaptree Yucca

My favorite Torrey Yucca

How many different critters use this arroyo as a thoroughfare?

Looks like fox (center) and Javelina (above)

One critter whose prints we can ID for certain

Long arroyo we were exploring

Road rest

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I think those are good photos of the eclipse, Packrat. It's funny to think of all of the critters that are traveling down that arroyo, including you and Becca.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...