Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Morning Walkabout

Soaptree Yuccas in an arroyo west of Tortugas Mountain
When Becca and I hit the trail west of the mountain early this morning it was quite cold, but things warmed up quickly; within a quarter mile I had peeled off my vest and simply donned by Marmot PreCip jacket--with the pit zips down!  I hadn't planned on exploring the outback today, but we just kept wandering westward until we found ourselves way out there.  I always hope to see Coyotes or Javelinas when we're in the outback, but no suck luck this morning.  Nevertheless, both Becca and I enjoyed our sojourn in this section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert.  We ran into JC and Olivia when we got back to the parking area; they had just finished their hike west of Tortugas Mountain.
One way up the mountain

High-altitude cactus garden

High-altitude cactus garden Part 2

Soaptree Yucca (left) and Ocotillo

Torrey Yuccas

Long way back to the mountains

Tortugas (left) and the Organs

Bird's nest in a Soaptree Yucca

The Soaptree Yucca that houses the bird's nest

Becca down a wide arroyo

General Land Office Survey marker, 1927

My position here is where I found the survey marker

Arroyo

Further down a wide arroyo

Cursory critter search

3-foot Barrel Cactus west of the mountain

Quite a secluded area

Yuccas in the outback

Banana Yucca

Bushwhacking back

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I'm glad you and Becca had such a good hike, Packrat. I especially like close-ups of birds' nests, like the one you show here.

Rim Trail Trek

Just starting off on Rim Trail 105 this morning We decided to drive to Sunspot and hike the Rim Trail which starts near the Apache Point tur...