Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

A Cruel Wind

Half a mile up the trail on the mountain's west side
28F when Becca and I hit the trail west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, and due to the abundant sunshine and minimal breeze it didn't feel too bad out there at start.  But not long after we began our trek the wind picked up, at times nearing the "brutal" end of the spectrum.  Whenever I took my gloves off to snap a photo my fingers were frozen; as a result I didn't take many shots today.  Just as well--I didn't find anything really worthy of attention.  I cut the hike short for several reasons, the already mentioned cold and the tasks looming in front of me, most notably my weekly grocery shopping trips to Target and Alberstsons.  Fortunately neither store was crowded so I managed to get home before noon.  Just the way I like it.
A slice of Las Cruces and Picacho Peak

Switchback up the mountain

Another look at the switchback

Becca the happy hiker

Scoping out the territory

Nothing between here and that water tank

A den large enough for foxes

An arroyo runs through it

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Becca is always happy when she hikes, no matter what the weather.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...