Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, February 28, 2020

Bad Karma

This and the next:  road from Geothermal to the northernmost dirt road
Rather bad doggie behavior on our outing this morning:  aggressive barking at a man coming up behind us on Geothermal Road; and a few minutes afterward aggressive behavior from both Frio and Willow:  barking and lunging at a dog some guy was jogging with on our side of the road.

High time to initiate some serious training.  The vibrating collar I bought for Frio seems to work only when he's mildly distracted.  I'll see how responsive they are to receiving treats during such encounters.

There were some good points to our morning exploration, though; Willow seems to be getting responsive to a few voice commands:  "Come" and "leave it."  When I say "come" and simultaneously use the hand and arm gesture to signal the same, both dogs come if they're looking at me.  That's some progress.  Also, I was able to get both pups to stay beside me while I was taking a few photos with my camera.  That's very important for them to learn.

Dr. K will be able to accompany us on our trek tomorrow so the hike shouldn't seem as hectic to me, nor will it be filled with such bad karma as was today's outing. 

This and the next 2:  Frio (left) and Willow



Which bird is singing atop that distant Torrey Yucca?

Zooming in to find out

Why it's a Loggerhead Shrike

This and the next 2:  Frio (left) and Willow heading west on Geothermal Rd.



Taken from the western barriers on Geothermal Road

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the last photo--beautiful image of the sky and desert landscape.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...