Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

A Surprising Respite

Five heads are better than four
A constant wind overnight brought in a cold front that was quite remarkable; when Dr. K, the Heelers and I went outside to the CR-V early this morning it actually felt chilly.  I had to run back inside to fetch Dr. K's windbreaker.

Frio and Willow loved the change in temperature (we're only supposed to reach the mid-80s today) and they had plenty of energy.  The wind persisted throughout our trek, making conditions a bit raw.  There was some blowing dust along LDR, but not enough to cause misery.

We visited an arroyo in which we let the Heelers run free for a while; they fully enjoyed being loose.  Then we had some water, I took some photos, and we all headed back to the waiting CR-V.  I especially relished the cooler temperature knowing that our respite will be exactly one day long.
The swath of green is composed of pecan trees in the Mesilla Valley

Frio

Willow

Frio

Willow

This and the next:  juvenile Verdin?


Dr. K and the Heelers (note the jacket)

Probably a female Scott's Oriole

Dead tree

This and the next:  moon and dead branches


This and the next:  same Acacia I photographed yesterday


Organ Mountains

Flank of Tortugas and the Organs

Same dirt road, different location

Yucca stalks and the Organs


1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the second photo of the juvenile verdin. Such a tiny bird.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...