Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Best-laid Plans


Research Associate Becca and I got off to an early start on the sunset side of Tortugas Mountain this morning, encountering--as usual--some awesome sights. Here's a huge, old Soaptree Yucca doing a Tower-of-Pisa impression.
Becca (seen here carrying her load in a handsome new backpack [she ripped one of the saddlebags on the red one]) managed to convince me to carry her load, too, which I did for half the hike.
Here is a photo of the Potrillo Mountains on the horizon, about 30 miles southwest of Las Cruces.
This is a 10X telephoto shot of the Potrillos. By the way, the area surrounding the mountains is a huge volcanic field with cinder cones and craters.
This is a telephoto shot of a large Red-tailed Hawk that I had to "oversharpen" in editing in order to contrast the bird with the background colors.

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Great photos. I love the hawk.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...