Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, January 22, 2016

Desert Guardians

An early, cold start
It was 28F with a stiff breeze when Becca and I headed to Tortugas Mountain this morning, cold enough for me to have to press my gloved left hand against my nose and mouth occasionally to keep from breathing frigid air.  That discomfort lasted only until we broke out into the sun; then I was able to put my parka hood down and unzipper the collar of my PolarPlus vest slightly.  Becca was bothered by none of these maneuvers, too busy smelling every other bush in the desert.  When we were nearly back to the trailhead we ran into JC and Olivia, and I stood chatting with them for a while before heading to our car.
Devil's Head (aka "horse crippler")

Don't know why I find this shadow/light combo so interesting

Prickly Pear Cactus with huge pads

Out west of the Tortoise

What creature is this?

A little haze between here and the Organs

These Torrey Yuccas always strike me as sentinels of sorts

The one at extreme right is about 12' tall

More Torrey Yuccas

And still more

An arroyo west of the mountain

A fairly large dead Mesquite Tree

Headed back through here

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I think that creature is a chipmunk standing on its hind legs to nibble on a cactus.

packrat said...

By golly, I think you nailed it, Dr. K. :)

The Wilster and Me

Organ Mountains from Baylor Canyon Road We had to wait for a plumber from Sun City Plumbing to change out the hose bib next to the garage; f...