Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Solitude in the Outback

Let's get this show on the road
Becca and I made a beeline into the outback west of Tortugas Mountain this morning, basking in the desert's winter sun.  It felt a little colder out there because of a persistent wind, but it was bearable.  We spooked an American Kestrel while hiking to an arroyo, but since the falcon landed on a nearby yucca I sneaked over to try get a few photos of the beautiful creature.  On the way I had to keep reminding Becca to stay back of me; but we successfully closed the distance between the bird and us, and I was able to snap some picks before the Kestrel took flight.  We ran into our pal Jimmy on the road to the observatory, and he and I stood chatting about politics for a while before going our separate ways; he was headed to the mountaintop, and Becca and I were returning to our car near the trailhead.
Road to the observatory

Which small raptor is perched on that yucca?

It's an American Kestrel, our smallest falcon
Not a palm tree, but a large Soaptree Yucca

Climbing hills in the outback

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I'm glad you were able to get that photo of the American kestrel. I didn't realize it was actually a falcon.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...