Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Royal Hunt of the Sunglasses

At the beginning of our hike there was only filtered sunlight
Those familiar with the Peter Shaffer play will know that the title of my blog post is a play on the play's title--"The Royal Hunt of the Sun"--which might qualify me to be one of the main characters, Francisco (taking-the) Pizarro.  Yesterday, when our hike was nearly over, I realized I'd lost my sunglasses, and, figuring they'd come off the sternum strap when I removed my daypack to get water for Becca and me, I decided to retrace our steps from yesterday's trek to see if I could find them.  On the way we discovered more Javelina activity in several of the tributary arroyos that feed the large one that runs west out of Tortugas Mountain, and, when we crested a ridge, we managed to spook three of the critters who were browsing in the desert nearby.  I was only able to capture images of one because the others hightailed it out of there pronto, giving me a clear understanding of how fast the animals can move.  After scouting around the desert for more Peccaries--Becca's hunting instinct on "high"--we looked for my glasses.  Becca led me straight to them as if she knew what I was looking for.  The lenses were covered in melted water from the frost that had formed on them overnight, but the pair was no worse for wear.
More Javelina activity

Javelina on the move

Glancing back to see what scared it

Heading up a small ridge

All pics are of the same individual

The other two Peccaries ran quickly away from us

This and the following:  Becca looking every which way but up for Javelina





Flank of Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

Still looking for Pecarries

Look what I found

My sunglasses, a pair that spent the night alone in the desert

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I had images of one of the javelina finding your sunglasses and then wearing them.

packrat said...

That's a funny image, Dr. K. A javelina would probably look better in them than I do. :)

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...